John's Reviews > The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court

The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin

M_50x66
Sep 24, 07

Recommended for: the politically curious
Read in September, 2007

I picked up this book figuring "well, I should learn something about the supreme court, since I'm woefully ignorant", and fully expected to lose steam after 10 pages. Holy. Crap. This is an absolutely immersive and fascinating read. I now feel like I have a deeply personal or at least passingly jurisprudential understanding of each of the justices that have served on the supreme court from the mid-seventies up through the present. I have a vastly richer understanding of the legal history leading up to the present moment across several major areas of legal contention such as abortion rights, gay rights, religious expression, racial issues, and gender issues, at least at the level of the Supreme Court. Toobin is a masterful narrator, and keeps the center of mass moving inexorably forward while jumping all over the map to keep the relevant threads tied closely to one another and focus always on the most interesting aspect of a given point, no matter where in time, space, or society that point occurs. I strongly recommend this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nine.