K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > A Severe Mercy: A Story of Faith, Tragedy and Triumph

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

Jul 18, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

Thanks to Tata J for lending me another unforgettable book! This is the second love story that made me cry (honest). The first third of the book is your typical Nicholas Sparks story. It actually reminds me of The Notebook so as I thought it would be an easy read, I continued on. On the second part (after The Shining Barrier), C. S. Lewis as introduced. It had the feeling of a religious book and I got a bit thrown out and started complaining to my wife that the book is boring. However, this early morning when I opened the book to read for the last time, I could no longer put it down and I could no longer sleep. It was just heartwarming, hearttugging, heartwrenching...The sickbed and death scenes are just well told and like no other. I read the last 3 chapters tears blurring my eyes.

Well done, Mr. Sheldon Vanauken! Thank you, Tata J! You always know which books are really worth reading!

Last week is just a exceptional one. I finished three 5-star books! I have now lined up 3 other books recommended by Tata J. Let's forget about 501 Must Read Books for the moment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Severe Mercy.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Hey, you just had a "still point in this turning world" and you forgot to mention this concept in your review! That was actually my second copy of the book after i lost the first one which i read. And where I also cried, he, he.

message 2: by D (new) - rated it 5 stars

D Carr I'm glad you decided to push through the "feeling" and finished the book. :)

K.D. Absolutely D, one of the right decisions I made. :)

K.D. Absolutely Emir Never wrote: "Joselito also gave a copy to me- thank you!"

Nice. He's very generous hehe!