Allisonperkel's Reviews > Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival

U 50x66
Jul 18, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in July, 2009

"Jungle" is a wonderful, thrill ride of a book. Its the true story of Yossi, a young man just out of the Israeli army who is traveling around South America after his tour of duty. I can easily picture him, backpack and guide book in hand, striking up conversations with people at hostels and in bars as many travelers are wont to do.

His travel plans get changed when he meets a man in Peru: Marcus. Marcus convinces him that instead of heading to Machu Picchu he should go to Boliva, with Marcus, instead. There they meet two other people, a new travel companion Kevin and a more odd, strange man, Karl, who offers them a chance of a lifetime; a hike into the jungle.

Now for people who travel, you man be amazed that Yossi and his friends would travel into the Amazon without first wondering about their guide, maybe do a little research to see if he has, I dunno, killed someone or if he's even who he claims to be. Especially when the "cost" goes from free to a few hundred dollars. But no, our protagonist is blissfully aware of nothing. There are many moments in this book where I wanted to shake him and go "stop that! Haven't you read at least one guidebook's scam section?" This is the second dumbest thing you can do! (the first is fighting a land war in Asia).

The book details their trek, their getting lost and separated, and finally the outcome. Yossi is a very good writer, his words kept me glued to the book and I found myself drawn into his struggle to survive. I also learned that peeing on yourself in the jungle is a really bad thing - a life lesson I hope to never put into practice.

If you are looking for a quick, fun and exciting read, this is a book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jungle.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

David If I can bum that off you (almost finished Economist) before you return it, this sounds worthwhile.

Peeing on yourself? Oh boy. I can tell this will be a great lunchtime read.

Allisonperkel that's actually one we own!

you know, I think the four of us do have some overlap in our tastes, we really should raid the bookcases of the house one of these days!