Nicole's Reviews > Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Jan 04, 12

Read in January, 2012

I'm under the impression that you can't go wrong with homicidal fairies.

Stiefvater's Lament doesn't have the same lyrical prose that her later novels do; however, the world is just as original and brilliantly created as all of her others. She once again manages to capture the essence of a mythology and twist it just a bit to make it new again.

I loved the way the fey were presented in this novel. Some are deadly and some are evil and some really aren't evil and some don't know any better but none of them are the innocent frolicking folk that you find in some other retellings. Una and Brendan were absolutely fantastic to read about. They're definitley my favorite characters from the entire story.

Though I normally dislike love triangles, the one in Lament is set up in such a way that it was unavoidable. (The parallels between Diedre and another character seem to twist and bind the fate of Diedre, so in the end, she really couldn't escape falling for Luke.) I can only hope that James get a chance in Ballad, the sequel.

At the beginning of the book, I kept getting distracted by parallels of this and The Iron King - Puck and James are awfully similar, as are Ash and James. Luckily, it veered off in another direction very quickly a few chapters in, so I didn't have to worry about that for too long. But fans of The Iron King should definitley pick this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.