Nicole's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jul 18, 09

bookshelves: own, favorites, classic
Read in June, 2009

Quoted from WORD for Teens website:

A homely governess with absolute faith in God.
A hideous master with a hidden past.
A romance tale for the ages.

It's an older novel, so I hate the style of writing and how the description runs on. (But it is an older novel, which is why I won't be comparing it to another book.

However, I positively ADORE the plot line, which is enough to make me want to buy the book. It's rather well constructed, and the characters are brilliant.

To see the full review, click here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Nicole Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.”

Charlotte Brontë
“No sight so sad as that of a naughty child," he began, "especially a naughty little girl. Do you know where the wicked go after death?"

"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.

"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"

"A pit full of fire."

"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"

"No, sir."

"What must you do to avoid it?"

I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I have for the first time found what I can truly love–I have found you. You are my sympathy–my better self–my good angel–I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wrap my existence about you–and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”