Stevie's Reviews > I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids: Reinventing Modern Motherhood

I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids by Trisha Ashworth

Jul 18, 09

Read in July, 2009

This book made me grumpy. I wanted to like it, wanted to find some jewel of wisdom, but came away frustrated that I'd bothered. I just have a hard time finding much empathy for the whole 'being an upper middle class mommy is hard' complaint. I'm an upper middleclass mommy, and it can be hard, but c'mon ladies...love your kids, and be thankfull that you don't have to try to figure out how to raise healthy happy kids while working a minimum wage job, going to night school, and protecting them from your estranged husband who sometimes gets drunk and shows up in the middle of the night to try to talk you all into moving back in with him. I don't mind the focus, just the miopic premise that the 'typical' American family spends its time worrying over cupcakes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids.

07/18/2009 "This book made me grumpy. I don't have much patience for the narrow focus on upper middle class two parent families"