Deirdre's Reviews > The Secret of Lost Things

The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay

Aug 10, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads
Read in August, 2009

Weird characters, weird story, unhealthy obsessions, unrequited lust, things lost, things found. This was an impulse buy, mostly because of the cover and then because the story takes place in a bookstore. Boy, was I disappointed. And the ending--even if I had gotten into the book, the ending was as unfulfilling as the thoroughly unnecessary (and awkward) sex scene (if you make it that far, you'll know that I use that term loosely) toward the end of the book.

I have only two points to note:

First, although the book was ridiculously difficult to slog through, I'm glad I found this quote nestled within its pages:

"I knew books to be objects that loved to cluster and form disordered piles, but here books seemed robbed of their zany capacity to fall about, to conspire. In the library, books behaved themselves." --Rosemary, on page 183

And second, many other reviewers seem confused as to the time period during which this story takes place. I grant you that I, too, was confused for some time, but then I stumbled upon this casual reference to the period:

"Coincidentally, it was written on my mother's birthday, August 13, almost a hundred and thirty years earlier, in 1852, than the moment I was reading it." --Rosemary, on page 187

So, the story takes place in the very early 80s, or perhaps the very late 70s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Lost Things.