Vicki's Reviews > Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1

Nightschool by Svetlana Chmakova

Jul 19, 09

bookshelves: comics-and-manga, fantasy, own
Read in July, 2009

This is an enjoyable light read and a promising start to the series. Its pretty obviously aimed at a bit of a younger market, but it still holds up to adult scrutiny ^_^

It follows several characters and events set around a nightime high school, where there are vampires, weirns (a type of witches), and werewolves etc. The school inhabits the same buildings as a normal daytime school, altho life seems very different at night...

The story is quite intriguing as, altho it sounds cheesy, the author has built a believeable world and characters out of the nightime elements, and definitely includes some things that are unique to her series. The best of these elements, in my opinion, is the down-to-earth nature of the characters: e.g. you'll see a scary looking gatekeeper appear in a swirl of dramatic smoke...and then she'll turn out to be as normal as any administrator at your old high school.

For anyone who has read Svetlana's previous series 'Dramacon', her artwork has taken strides forward in this volume. It comes across more confidently, has more energy, she experiments more with different techniques and yet still retains her trademarks (e.g. extreme-chibis for emotional moments).

Buying more volumes of this won't be at the very top of my list, as it just doesn't quite grab me the same way as series like Fullmetal Alchemist or Honey and Clover have (which is probably because I'm a bit older than the target market), but I will be keeping the series on my 'to collect' shelf and keeping an eye out for future volumes in general ^_^
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightschool.