mark's Reviews > Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel

Loser's Town by Daniel Depp

Jul 27, 09

bookshelves: men-s-fiction, crime
Read in July, 2009

Loser's town is Los Angeles, taken from a quote by Robert Mitchum, one of Hollywood's super-male actors in the mid twentieth century. The novel, by Daniel Depp, related to the early twenty-first century super-male actor, Johnny, is Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" in novel form. If you liked that movie, you'll probably like this book. I read it in one day. It's character driven and the characters are rich--good guys, bad guys, regular guys caught up in bad situations ... and girls along for the ride. The protagonist, David Spandau, is modeled after Robert Parker's Spencer. So Depp is not original and the "voice" is confounded. But it's a fun read. I don't know how much it accurately reflects the Movie business. If you want to lose yourself for a day, instead of a couple hours in a theater, this is a book that will do that for you. Will I read more? (Depp appears to be planning to write more Spandau novels) depends on my mood and situation. I doubt I'd seek it out - but might pick it up in the library or airport.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loser's Town.

07/18/2009 page 104