Nardsbaby Reader's Reviews > It's a Curl Thing

Jul 21, 2009

bookshelves: teens
Read in July, 2009

Drama in My Life

Rhyann Hamilton, Diva Divine’s bff, isn’t like her girlfriends. While they may attend the same school and are friends, Rhyann’s family isn’t rich, nor do they live in a mansion. Things Rhyann wants she has to work hard for, which she does because she dreams of college and one day becoming a lawyer.

While Rhyann may not be a rich or apart of Hollywood’s elite like Divine and Mimi are, she is not afraid to show off her smarts, witty remarks or her reasonably priced clothing. However, when it comes to her best male friend, Traven, she can’t admit that she’s feeling him in a whole new way.

With prom just around the corner, Rhyann is jazzed and can’t wait to showcase the dress her aunt made for her. Now all she needs is for Tameka, her sister, to get her do done right and she’s all set. A messed up do is a big fat NOT for prom night. Mimi, suggests CROWNING GLORY for an emergency make over. Rhyann looks fierce, though she had to cut it down some, but once it’s time to pay for the new look she’s more than a little short. Luckily the owner, Marilee, is kind and willing to allow Rhyann to work off the remaining balance. What Rhyann receives in return is a genuine friendship and a chance to learn more about history, racism and unity.

IT’S A CURL THING by Jacquelin Thomas is a great read. As usual, Jacquelin uses real life experiences, God and tosses in a few fashionista moments and the story comes together perfectly. I was worried that we’d seen the last of Divine, but she is still very much affiliated with the story. I’m really looking forward to getting to know more about Rhyann and her family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's a Curl Thing.

07/18/2009 page 103
07/18/2009 page 103
35.76% "Finally we get to know Rhyann Hamilton, one of Devine's bff. Smart and sure of self, but in denial about how she's feeling about a boy."
show 1 hidden update…