Shesten's Reviews > Across the Pond

Across the Pond by Storyheart

Jul 21, 09

bookshelves: owned
Read in July, 2009

Plot Sketch: Fred's parents just won an all expenses paid trip to Australia for two. Now, what to do with Fred while they're gone? He has his choice of visiting his aunt and uncle in Scotland, or visiting some family friends in America. He chooses America. Because of the exchange rate from the pound to the dollar, it costs his parents about the same amount. He sets out "across the pond" to visit Phil & Julie and their daughter, who just happens to be his age, Brittany. At their first meeting, Brittany insists Fred call her Brit. After less than a day, Brit divulges her deepest secret, one she's been holding from her mother and father, to Fred, because she feels like she can trust him with it. It involves a boy and the way he treated her. Through the story, you get to see the relationship with Brit and Fred develop and you get a lot of glimpses of Fred's summer homework, which is to compare the differences in American English and British English. You also get baseball and a very cool encounter with the sport.

Verdict: I Heart It, but see room for more story development in the novel. A lot of things happen really quickly without much support from the characters. The characters are on the shallow side, but that is to be expected from a novel of 114 pages, I think. On the plus side, it was a great, fun, light read and I really enjoyed it. A lot of the English tends to be more along the lines of what my friends in England write in their emails to me, so don't be surprised when you pick it up. I think that's to be expected with an author who originates himself from "across the pond," and found it a refreshing angle to read from. I myself, am hoping for more of Fred & Brit soon!

The Gauntlet:

At what location does most of the story take place?
USA

What is the main character's name?
Fred Squire

Does I Heart Monster like the main character?
Yes, I do. He's got a refreshing outlook on life for a teenaged boy.

How long did it take I Heart Monster to finish the book?
A couple of hours

Did I Heart Monster get stuck at any points in the book? If so, why?
Nope

Is this a good read for Monster?
This is a YA romance, so probably not. Guys - if you're interested in a romance, you might like it, but if not, it's probably not for you.

What, if anything, would I Heart Monster change to make the book more interesting?
I think a little more plot development would be nice.

What was I Heart Monster's favorite line?
Fred winced. That damn baseball stuff again.

How many chapters were in the book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Pond.