Karla's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Dec 18, 09

bookshelves: mourning, anorexia-bulimia, cutting, friendship, ya, 2009, favorites
Read in December, 2009

This was a heartbreaking book of a troubled girl named Lia who is hauted with the loss of her friend Cassie. They had a bond or oath to be the skinnest girls. Lia takes strength in her illness of choice Anerexia. While Cassie's feeling not as strong a grip controling her urges to eat, she had bulimia struggles. You find out clues to the inside of Lia's mind as she is suffering hiding her pain by putting her in the danger zone towards death to join Cassie.
This is a quick book to read but a must read for parents with young teens that worry about there weight. It was an unsettling book, but well written. I loved the poetic style of Anderson and look forward to reading more of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

Quotes Karla Liked

Laurie Halse Anderson
“In one aspect, yes, I believe in ghosts, but we create them. We haunt ourselves.”
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

12/02/2009 page 17
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I am definitely going to read this book soon. It's sad how young girls can get so caught up in how they look, but I guess it's not surprising considering the appearance-obsessed culture we live in.

Karla I'm concerned some girls well use this book as a guide or bible to aid them. So frightening. This book is a good window into anorexia and cutting. Really gets into the head of the main character.

Kaliki Just finished it. Whoa ~ so disturbing, and yes you're right, heartbreaking. I too, look forward to more from this author. Loved her writing style. Beautiful.

Karla Very chilling story and it did feel well researched like a portrayal of someone whom really went thru this, like a poetic diary.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I would just like to clarify that anorexia is not an "illness of choice". Coming from experience (and I'm sorry to say that I read this book before I had serious issues and I did use it as a refrence or a guide) I really want to emphasize that anorexia is not a choice. A diet is a choice. Anorexia is NOT a diet.