Patricia's Reviews > A Rose for the Crown

Sep 01, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Recommended to Patricia by: Went to author discussion
Read in August, 2009

This is Anne Easter Smith's first novel in her "series" set in Plantagenet and Tudor England. (The books are connected by characters and time periods but do not have to be read in order). I have read the third one (The King's Grace, see previous review) and I am looking forward to Daughter of York as well. A Rose for the Crown is about the supposed mistress of Richard III. It is known that R3 had at least one mistress as he recognized two illegitimate children during his lifetime. Easter Smith's extensive research led her to a contemporary family with connections to the Plantagenets that she placed her main character in. The history, period detail, description and characters all came alive for me and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I did put it aside for awhile and picked it up to finish because, as I neared the finish, knowing that the end (for Richard) was nigh, I put off facing the inevitable! A very good, engrossing read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose for the Crown.