Ann's Reviews > The Espressologist

Jul 17, 09

bookshelves: 2009, chick-lit, contemporary
Read in July, 2009

(ARC)

Ages 11+ (no language AT ALL (a rarity in mainstream YA), just kissing romance and a brief mention of someone getting "felt up")

High school senior Jane spends almost no time at school (she's met all of her requirements and is taking fluff courses). That leaves plenty of time for her job as a barista at Wired Joe's, a starbucks-ripoff in Chicago. Recently promoted to assistant manager, her hobby of profiling people based on their favorite drinks - and then pairing them off - is discovered by her surly store manager. Jane becomes the "Espressologist," and her talent is the new holiday promotion.

This is frothy fun on par with the Simon Romantic comedies. Some of the mangled-to-avoid-trademark-infringement words grate ("frappycap" anyone?) and Jane's romantic magic takes some suspension of disbelief, but avid chick lit readers won't mind. Take this one to the beach.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Espressologist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle How did you get an ARC of this book?

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Danielle wrote: "How did you get an ARC of this book?"

I got it from the publishers at the American Library Association conference.

Ronni I know nothing about coffee--I thought "frappycaps" really existed! Ha!

Jasmine I know that this isn't a big deal, but I'm just saying since you said there is no language, AT ALL, there is the use of the word "Bitch" on page 13. :)

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Thanks for the tip, Jasmine. I must have overlooked that since it's of the seen-on-tv variety.

Jasmine ooh, I see =]