Daniel's Reviews > The Williamson Effect

The Williamson Effect by Roger Zelazny

Dec 21, 09

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, short-fiction
Read in October, 2009

I have to admit that I am not particularly familiar with Jack Williamson's work. I am aware of his work, but I don't think that I've ever read any of his books. So why buy and read this collection of short stories written in tribute to Williamson? Because it was edited by Roger Zelazny ... whose work I AM familiar with and greatly admire.

It shouldn't come as a surprise then that I found myself really enjoying this stories and now am looking forward to reading some Williamson work.

It has been awhile since I actually finished reading this collection, so the stories are not fresh in my mind, but I don't think that there are any obvious stand-outs for being excellent. Instead, unlike so many collections I read, nearly all the stories piqued my interest, touching on something which I assume is that talent of Jack Williamson.

Fred Saberhagen's story, "The Bad Machines," has made me want to read both Williamson's The Humanoids and Saberhange's 'Berserker' books. Poul Anderson's "Inside Passage" has got me looking for Jack's Darker Than You Think. And I'm very curious to read more of The Legion of Time, and see how much Giles Habibula really is like Falstaff. John Brunner is a fantastic writer, and his "Thinkertoy" was a delight.

All around, this is a fantastic collection. It's a book like this that has me really enjoying short fiction. I've read some great fiction and hopefully discovered a new author or two.

Highly recommended for any sci-fi fan.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Williamson Effect.