Brian Ayres's Reviews > Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood

Home Game by Michael Lewis

Jul 17, 2009

Read in July, 2009

This book has no direction or purpose other than to state and defend what I believe to be the truest words ever spoken about family planning: "Memory loss is the key to human reproduction. If you remembered what new parenthood was actually like you wouldn't go around lying to be people about how wonderful it is, and certainly wouldn't ever do it twice." Lewis, the author of contemporary sports classics Moneyball and The Blind Side, provides vignettes of his experience raising three girls. Lewis writes things that all fathers are thinking but could never say out loud. Perhaps the funnies story comes from a time when his three tried to stick up for her six-year old sister, who was being teased by a few older boys, by screaming at the top of her lungs, "You shut up you stupid motherfucking asshole!" Lewis' reaction? "Impressed. More than impressed -- awed ... I make a mental note to buy that girl some ice cream." This is just one of several highlights of Lewis' parenting journal he did for Slate magazine, which he turned into a this short book. Many of the stories center on the differences in parenting styles of his wife (smothering and paranoid) and Lewis (indifferent). Lewis laments about the days during his childhood where his father had little to no interaction with him. His sports analogy is perfect: women did the play-by-play while men handled the color commentary when they get home from work or the bar or the golf course.

Maybe I'll try that thought out on my wife as my three-year-old son runs around the house possessed and wielding sharp objects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Game.