Susan Bischoff's Reviews > The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog

The Tao of Martha by Jen Lancaster

Jun 10, 2013

Read from June 05 to 09, 2013 , read count: 1

This is so not my usual thing, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT a book in which the author guides you through the steps she took to live a more Martha-esque lifestyle. There's very little of a how-to nature here, and if you go into it looking for or expecting that, you may be disappointed. Read it for what it is, a memoir of the year in the life of woman determined to make herself happy while dealing with the first-world problems many of us allow to bring us down.

I NEVER watch the TODAY SHOW, but I turned on the TV, Jen Lancaster was being interviewed, and felt immediately drawn to her and this book. The concept reminded me of "Julie and Julia," a movie I really enjoyed, so I went to Amazon, downloaded the sample, and ended up buying the book because I didn't want to stop reading. (Yay instant gratification!)

Lancaster relates big events, everyday frustrations, and lessons learned with wit, vivacity, and a flair that will probably make you wish she were part of your circle of friends. There are many laugh out loud moments as well as times when she puts down the label maker and pushes aside the craft supplies to find that it's things like simplicity, planning, and preparedness that really make Martha Stewart Living possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Martha.