Yan's Reviews > Something Like Fate

Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

Dec 19, 09

Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Something Like Fate is a typical YA novel of two best friends wooing the same guy. One takes the initiative and asks said guy, Jason, out. He agrees. But then the best friend of said girl, Lani, begins talking to him and finds out that she likes him…and he likes her back. They talk more, with the initiative girl, Erin's, consent, and finds out that they have a lot in common! Like a freakish amount of things in common (I’m still wrapping my mind around the common oddities). So when the girl goes away, the cats will play. Jason’s and Lani’s relationship is refreshing and ever so endearing. But when Erin comes back things go downhill….

It was within the last few chapters that things get out of hand. Erin is a complete ’itch. Lani needs to stop being a pushover but they are times where I applaud her. To make amends for stealing her ex-boyfriend (Jason and Lani hook up after Erin gets dumped), Erin tells Lani to stop seeing Jason, which she compiles. Excuse me for a second while I scream. Seriously!? Are you daft woman? In the very next line, Erin tells Lani that she is yet to be forgiven and ignores her for the next several days at school. So the purpose of not seeing Jason is…?

I dislike the ending very much so. It was way too fast. Erin apologies, Lani forgives; Lani apologies, Erin forgives; they cry and hug. That’s it. I did not see much character development for the majority of them.

There were some characters that I found really enjoyable to read: Blake and Connor. Blake is gay but no one knows about it and Connor is from Canada (yay Canadians). They add a touch of serenity and whimsical humor at times that added much to the dialogues. I love the fact that Blake was able to forgive and grow whereas Connor is sweet, caring, and a steady rock.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like Fate.

12/18/2009 page 22
8.21% "really clipped sentences..." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) Oh my! Only 2 stars??? I was hoping this would be amazing... :(

message 2: by Yan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yan review up...soon. 5 minutes? lol

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) Have you read The Unwritten Rule?

message 4: by Yan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yan nope x.x the summary is very reminiscent of something like fate but I typically enjoy scott's novel. I've read bloom like 5x already xD

Letter Garden we're like one brain xD

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) Oh! I loved Unwritten Rule, but now I'm doubting I'll be reading this one... Thanks though..

Michelle I agree Yan. :( I'm more than half way through this one and yeah, not feeling it. It makes me sad though because I really love Susane Colasanti. I would still recommend The Unwritten Rule (which I really loved). Even though the premises are similar, they're executed so very differently.

message 8: by Bookwatcher (last edited May 07, 2010 05:43AM) (new)

Bookwatcher " Erin tells Lani to stop seeing Jason, which she compiles. Excuse me for a second while I scream." HAHAHAHA! great review!
Only 2 stars? really?