Sara Grochowski's Reviews > Broken Soup

Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: own
Read from January 03 to 04, 2011

I've had this book on my desk for about 2 weeks and kept passing it over and now I am mentally kicking myself! I cannot put into words how great this book was. I LOVED it! This is only Jenny Valentine's second novel and have my fingers crossed that there are many more to come.

Broken Soup was heart-wrenching and tear-inducing. It was funny and witty. It was filled with twists and turns yet perfectly predictable. It was real.

Rowan is an amazing character. I thought she would seem young to me since she is only supposed to be 15, but she is very mature (in part because of her home life, but also just personality-wise). Her little sister, Stroma, is hilarious and a ray of light in the darkness of Rowan's current life. And Harper... ah, Harper... is absolutely marvelous. I'm pretty sure I have to add Harper to my list of favorite love interests now... He was perfectly written and a perfect complement to Rowan.

I love Jenny Valentine's writing style, her voice, her characterization! I think that is a major reason as to why this book is so great - Valentine is simply a wonderful writer. That, paired with an amazing plot line, makes this one of my new favorite books!

I'm definitely going to look for Valentine's first novel (Me, The Missing, and The Dead) and keep an eye out future novels! I highly recommend Broken Soup - HIGHLY! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Soup.

01/03/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Uzma Shaikh I love your review Sara. I love Rowan's character. Stroma is amazing in this book, and like you said, Harper is definitely a contender in the list of favourites. :)

Sara Grochowski Uzma wrote: "I love your review Sara. I love Rowan's character. Stroma is amazing in this book, and like you said, Harper is definitely a contender in the list of favourites. :)"

Not enough people have read this book, Uzma! It's constantly overlooked and it's SO good!

Uzma Shaikh Yes indeed!