Sara Grochowski's Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Jul 16, 09

Favorite characters, quotes/lines: Clary: the only thing that bothered me in this book was her dating Simon, but I understand why she did… to me it was like Twilight’s Bella dating Jacob (kind of icky); Simon: funny as usual, but dark as well… I’m glad that he found a way into the new world Clary is a part of…. Otherwise I think he would have had to be left behind; Jace: he is so dark and brooding, I just wanted him and Clary to find a way to be together…; Alec and Magnus: they are entertaining… and I like how they are have so many dimensions for minor characters

When I finished this book I felt: NEED CITY OF GLASS NOW! That’s basically all I could think after I finished City of Ashes. I wanted to know what the Inquisitor meant when she saw Jace’s scar…. What the Faerie Queen meant about the blood in Jace’s veins… What Valentine meant when he said something about his first son… So many unanswered questions! Also I was thinking about how comforting fantasy books are… they have a set formula of good versus evil, good prevailing, and the main heroes coming together in the end. I know everything will work out in these books because everything always works out in these types of books. And I love knowing that and then reading to find out how it will all come together in the end. Also, there are an uncommon number of love triangles in these books.

Other books to read by this author: City of Glass, The Clockwork Princess (2010), The Clockwork Prince (2011)

I would recommend this book to: everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

Quotes Sara Liked

Cassandra Clare
“I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”

Cassandra Clare
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”

Cassandra Clare
“Mom. I have something to tell you. I’m undead. Now, I know you may have some preconceived notions about the undead. I know you may not be comfortable with the idea of me being undead. But I’m here to tell you that undead are just like you and me … well, okay. Possibly more like me than you.”

Cassandra Clare
“Well, I’m not kissing the mundane," said Jace. "I’d rather stay down here and rot."
"Forever?" said Simon. "Forever’s an awfully long time."
Jace raised his eyebrows. "I knew it," he said. "You want to kiss me, don’t you?”

Cassandra Clare
“Isabelle drifted over, Jace a pace behind her. She was wearing a long black dress with boots and an even longer cutaway coat of soft green velvet, the color of moss. "I can't believe you did it!" she exclaimed. "How did you get Magnus to let Jace leave?"
"Traded him for Alec," Clary said.
Isabelle looked mildly alarmed. "Not permanently?"
"No," said Jace. "Just for a few hours. Unless I don't come back," he added thoughtfully. "In which case, maybe he does get to keep Alec. Think of it as a lease with an option to buy."
Isabelle looked dubious. "Mom and Dad won't be pleased if they find out."
"That you freed a possible criminal by trading away your brother to a warlock who looks like a gay Sonic the Hedgehog and dresses like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?" Simon inquired. "No, probably not.”