jess's Reviews > Worms Eat My Garbage

Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof

Jul 16, 09

bookshelves: 2009, growing
Read in July, 2009, read count: 15

Ok this book is hella old but guess what? Worms are older and they haven't changed since this book was written so the book looks adorably dated, but the information is so perfectly totally relevant.

So I checked this out from the library, bought about a pound of worms from the Olympia Farmers market, and set up a couple buckets of rotting garbage in my basement. I have since turned into a total garbage-o-phile. I mean, i am feeding my worms cardboard macaroni boxes and trying to name them all. (kidding.... about naming them all). I like to joke around that we got 100,000 new pets and offer to show them to people. My wife & I went to a worm composting class so we could nerd out with other worm people, and it was just fascinating and awesome, but definitely not as informative as this book.

This book is better than the bible. If you ever for a single second have felt guilty, bad, remorseful, or sad about the amount of garbage you dump in a landfill (which is, just a reminder, A WHOLE LOT OF TRASH) on a weekly basis PLEASE GET THIS BOOK. read it. try it out. you can do all the steps in the wrong order. you can treat her advice as "gentle suggestions" and then go to the troubleshooting section when it goes terribly wrong. Before you know it, you will have 100,000 new pets, and an infinite new pride in your rotting garbage. it's just ROTTING GARBAGE, you can't mess it up too badly.

PS get a good camera so you can take awesome "alien landscape"-type photographs of the crazy shit that happens in your worm bin, like mysterious mushrooms and pepper seedlings. or just email me if you want to see our collection.

PPS my deepest apologies to the Olympia Public Library & Patrons because I kept this book for way too long, and I appreciate your patience and not sending me to collections.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worms Eat My Garbage.