Christine 's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Nov 22, 09

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in July, 2009

I'm listening to this as an audiobook and I'm guessing I'm about halfway through, but I feel justified in giving it 4 stars. I might add or subtract a star when I'm done listening to it.

I'm glad I'm listening to this one, rather than just reading it, but I will probably buy the book too. It's written in the first-person, alternating among 3 women in early-1960's Mississippi - 2 black maids and one young white woman who has just graduated from college and is seeing the community she grew up in in a new way.

The narrators bring them to life in a way that makes them even more vivid and real. I feel as if these characters are real people who are telling me their stories, not just fictional characters. So far, it's powerful and fascinating, and as well-narrated as it is well-written. Recommended listening or reading.

(Edit: I have finished listening to it and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I decided to add that 5th star.)
46 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

message 1: by Doh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doh Finished yet?

Christine Yes, thanks for reminding me! I stand by my review. It was a satisfying listen, and I was sorry when it ended.

message 3: by Doh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doh I liked it, too - moreso as I got into it, at first I thought it was a way for (modern-day) whites to feel good about their lack of racism (like, "wow, look how racist those women are! I'm nothing like that!") but it got better as it went on.

Christine Yeah, I was afraid of that too at first. But I think the writer handled it well, so I didn't feel that way by the end.

Rachel I also listened to it. The narrators were fantastic in giving voices to this story.

Cindy Salamone I just downloaded the audio version. I'm really looking forward to it, expecially now that I've heard from those of you who listened to it already. The readers/actors can make or break a book.

Bridget I too have the audiio version downloaded. I am enjoying it so much.

Dulcinea Belem I decided to do the audio version and I'm glad that I did. The narration made the characters come alive with vivid emotions. I was curious how the story would touch racism especially coming from both sides. The author did a great job showing the similarities and ignorance that came with that period.

James Roman I'm a great fan of audio books, but The Help has got to be one of the best-executed audio books ever! I'm glad the publishers spent the money to get four voices to tell us this tale so imaginatively. I can't stop talking about it. Highest praise!

message 10: by Ona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ona I am listening to the audiobook (not done yet) - and have to say that I am probably enjoying it more than I would have enjoyed the print version. The readers are WONDERFUL.

Helen I agree. The audio book was so well done! I don't think I've ever listened to a better rendition of a book.

Camilla Great book. Loved it. I may read it again some day. I also donated my copy to the library.

Jennifer Painter I listened to the audio version too and am so glad that I did, instead of reading the book myself. The narrators brought a warmth to the story that made me love the book. I have listened to many audio books and this is the most well done narration so far!

Karen Moorhead The audio book was excellent; I agree.

Merre i'm listening to it on audio as well; does anyone else find the woman who reads as skeeter offensive when she reads as the maids? For the longest time I thought Constantine had some type of learning or speech disability; then i realized it was the actress.

message 16: by Dia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dia The audio book cast reads these words as if you are sitting with them in a cozy spot & reliving their past lives. The book is beyond words. And being a woman of color it brought to mind the women in of my life who have since passed on and I wonder what unspoken indignities they may have faced.

Sabrina I agree, the audio added to the depth and feel of the characters. I would listen to the audio in the car, then the book when I got in the house and then back to the audio. Great review.