Justins's Reviews > Behind the Mountains

Behind the Mountains by Edwidge Danticat

U 50x66
Behind the Mountains is about a girl name Celiane. She is the main character in this book, as well as her brothers Moy and Manman. They lived in a house that was built by their father in Haiti. Their parents were divorced because they went through hard times together. After they got divorced, their father moved to New York, and the mother died in a car accident. So one day their father sent them money to come to New York. Celiane and her brothers were happy on their journey to New York, but it was also rough because they were traveling by themselves and they didn't know anyone, until they met a lady named Tante Rose that helped them through their journey.

Reading this book, I made a text to self connection. This book was about a girl from Haiti that traveled to Brooklyn. My friend Badi traveled from Africa to New York. Badi and Celiane both speak another language other than English. Badi and Celiane had a good life in New York. They had a good experience seeing new people and eating different food.

I give this book 5 stars. It discusses a lot about traveling and facts about Haiti. It also talks about how Celiane had a new life in Brooklyn. The characters are well developed. I like how Celiane and her brothers reacted when they came to Brooklyn. The reason I gave this book five stars is because it showed each character's personality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Mountains.