Victor Gentile's Reviews > Honor in the Dust

Honor in the Dust by Gilbert Morris

Jul 16, 2009

Read in June, 2010

I had the privilege of interviewing Gilbert Morris, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for his new book, "Honor In The Dust" Book One in the Winslow Breed Series published by Howard Books.

Back in the Seventies Gilbert Morris created a series called "The House Of Winslow" which was designed to bring one family generation by generation from the founding of America all the way to the present. At the present time there are 40 books in that series and it has brought the Winslows up until the 1940's. What Gilbert Morris is attempting to do with this series is a prequel to that series and is showcasing the three generations before the start of the first book in "The House Of Winslow". Here we begin with Claiborn Winslow in 1497 England who, for love, runs away from his family home Stoneybrook to marry Grace. They have their first child, Stuart, and are living in poverty until Claiborn's mother insists they come home against the wishes of Claiborn's brother Edmund.

Stuart goes to work in the court of Henry VIII as his hunting bird master and the two become friends. Stuart also becomes friends with the Queen, Catherine of Aragon and their daughter Mary. Along the way Stuart also becomes friends with William Tyndale, the man who translated the Bible from Latin into English, had it published and smuggled into England for the common man to own and read. This sets up most of the conflict in the book as Stuart is sentenced to die in the Tower of London and so are his father and Uncle. To tell you what happens would spoil the story for you but suffice it to say this is a very exciting story. I have been reading everything by Gilbert Morris for a long time and I have to say that this may be his finest work. This is English Monarchy history, this is religious history and this is also just plain fun and exciting as well.

If, like me, you have read everything ever written by Gilbert Morris then you are going to love this book. If this is your first reading of anything by Gilbert Morris you are going to love this book. The title of the book comes from Psalm 7 and shows how a man can have his honor trampled and then restored to him by the Lord. It is a very fulfilling read and I look forward to the next book in the series.

If you missed the interview for "Honor In The Dust" and would like to listen to it please go to www.kingdomhighlights.org where it is available On Demand.

To listen to 24 Christian music please visit our internet radio station www.kingdomairwaves.org

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Howard Books. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honor in the Dust.