Heather's Reviews > Beastly

2098381
Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: 2009, ya
Read in September, 2009

Like most of the female species, I was a lover of fairy tales growing up and Beauty and the Beast was among my favorites. I have read several adaptations of the tale, but Beastly is by far the best I’ve read to date.

Beastly, unlike many adaptations, is told from the view point of the Beast, aka, Kyle. Kyle is a beautiful, popular and rich teenage boy whose life has known nothing but privilege and nothing of love. Son of a famous newscaster and a mother who left him long ago, Kyle has no semblance of a family and is surrounded by faux adoration. His entire worth is wrapped up in his beauty and what his status can do for others. Naturally, Kyle is a bit petulant and taunting of those who are “beneath” par of his small universe and carefully constructed facade. Unfortunately for Kyle, he has taunted the wrong girl, or should I say witch. As punishment and in hopes of reforming the aggrieved Kyle, Kendra the witch curses Kyle to a lifetime as a beast unless he can convince another to fall in love with him and more importantly, for he to fall in love with her in return within two years. And so the tale unfolds.

Despite the age old story, Beastly is fresh and innovative. I loved the modern setting, the inclusion of the Transformation chat group, and most notably, the beast himself. Kyle’s voice was harsh, honest, endearing, tortured and hopeful. I caught myself smiling more than once as I read through this alternate tale. If you are a lover of fairy tales, you are sure to love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beastly.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana I say don't bother with this one

Heather Really? Have you read it?

Krista (One Love) (Critical) It's not amazing, but I think it's worth reading...I really liked it.

Heather Thanks Krista. I think I'm going to give it a try.

message 5: by Hannah (last edited Jan 22, 2010 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah I see you and Heather both read this one.

A Hanneybean recommendation. So far, it's ok. Easy reading and a pretty neat premise. Kyle is certainly a horse's ass right now, but the witch has just turned him, so I'm looking forward to some comuppence.

Heather I helps to visualize Alex Pettyfer. He is playing the beast in the upcoming movie :)

message 7: by Hannah (last edited Jan 22, 2010 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah Heather wrote: "I helps to visualize Alex Pettyfer. He is playing the beast in the upcoming movie :)"

ehem....WHY do you think Hanneybean picked it up in the first place?? - lol!! She can't wait for the movie!!

Heather Me either! I'm going to be with all the teenie boppers, screaming like and Alex fangurl. Do you think he will go for red-heads?

message 9: by Hannah (last edited Jan 22, 2010 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah Heather wrote: "Do you think he will go for red-heads? "

LOL! I hope for your sake he does.
What a cute couple you guys would be :)

The bigger question is does he like dogs? I wouldn't trade little Milton for all the Alexs' of the world!!

Heather Oh no, as much as I love me some Alex, I could never sacrafice my child, even if he is covered in fur :)

Hannah Heather wrote: "Oh no, as much as I love me some Alex, I could never sacrafice my child, even if he is covered in fur :)"

Hey you - you've got a pic! I love it, love it, love it!!

Heather I did. I didn't like being brown and beige and anonymous, lol.

Thanks, my conk looks fairly small in that one, :)

Hannah Heather wrote: "I did. I didn't like being brown and beige and anonymous, lol.

Thanks, my conk looks fairly small in that one, :)"

Shush up about the conk - it's not big. Nope.
Love the hair style and the color. Really chic.

Heather Thank you. I change it from time to time, but I always go back to red. I think it just might be my favorite.