Kaya's Reviews > People of the Whale

People of the Whale by Linda Hogan

Jul 16, 2009

Read in January, 2010

Once again, Linda Hogan dazzles me again with her lyrical and compassionate writing. Her work always leaves me with an even greater appreciation for other viewpoints and the spirit of our environment. Even though I'm a huge Linda Hogan fan, I was reluctant to read this novel because one character wrestles with his memories of fighting in the Vietnam War, and frankly, I am a sissy when it comes to thinking about the horrors of humanity, but the way Hogan told the story was both sensitive, honest, and in small enough glimpses that I was never turned off, but rather left with compassion for everyone. Hogan also illustrates the complexities of tribal politics in this novel, and the collective wound of groups of people who survived attempted genocide. Hogan has the unique ability to tell difficult stories with profound beauty. Highly, highly recommended. And be sure to read SOLAR STORMS and POWER, also by her, if you haven't.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Whale.

06/22/2016 marked as: read