Unwisely's Reviews > Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!

Clutter's Last Stand by Don Aslett

1951394
Jul 15, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fiction, skimmed, 2009, organization
Read in July, 2009

This is the latest in my attempts to get more organized. The like books that give me practical how-tos. This book...mostly didn't. Some organizing books I have found motivational, even when I thought the specific tips weren't the real me, but this one mostly seemed to be telling you why you needed to get rid of clutter, not how to do it. I ended up just skimming the book.

(I would give it one and a half stars, I guess, for his point that if you put stuff out on your counters, you just have to clean it - which did inspire me to put the condiments (salt, pepper, olive oil) I had sitting out on my kitchen counter back into the cupboard.)

Maybe you could give this to your sibling who doesn't realize they have a problem, but this is not a brass tacks organizing book, and not what I was looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clutter's Last Stand.

Annie what were your favorite books on this topic of organizing? i am also trying to improve my organizational skills:-) thank you!

message 3: by Kira (new)

Kira FlowerChild I wonder if perhaps the emphasis on emotional attachment to items brought up some issues with you, which forced you to either deal with the emotions or toss the entire book. We can see what your choice was. I read this book nearly fifteen years ago and I will admit there are some things I got rid of at the time that now I sort of wish I had...but not really. These are items that I still have mixed emotions about. This book, as you noted, is not strictly a how-to book on organizing your house or your life. Instead, it teaches you how to LOOK at the things in your life so that you don't acquire things impulsively, that you don't really need, and you don't hang onto items because they represent the love or affection of the person who gave the item to you. If the item is something you use, keep it, regardless of sentimentality. But if you don't use it, but you want to remember the feelings it brings up in you, take a photograph of it. Then you will always have a record of it without having a useless item taking up space in your house - and in your mind.