Sophie's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: fiction, read-in-2009, science-fiction, young-adult, read-in-2011, wishlist
Read in January, 2011, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** I can't review this without being spoilery, so...

1. AAAAAAAAAAAAAH

2. The one thing I didn't like about this book is the part where Katniss finds out she has to go back to the Hunger Games. I think there should have been more of a pause there--for disbelief, for Katniss maybe trying to think of ways out of it, ways to kill herself even. The book started moving at a really fast pace after that point, with Katniss and Peeta preparing for the next Games, and I was like "wait, what? hang on a minute!" It was hard for me to believe that Katniss would willingly go back to the arena, at least not without major depression. One night of drinking didn't seem to cover it.

3. Everything else = awesome. The mockingjay imagery. The clock arena. The rebellion. President Snow being creepy as fuck. HIS BREATH SMELLS LIKE BLOOOOOOD!

4. As soon as Wiress and Beetee started talking about the chink in the force field's armor, I knew the answer to the Games was BRING DOWN THE FORCE FIELD. I was yelling and yelling at them to do it, and then finally they did, and I was like "YES!"

5. I find the love triangle a little annoying but mostly interesting. Katniss doesn't really know how she feels about either of them, because she doesn't have the freedom to feel on her own terms. I like that she has some makeout time on the beach with Peeta, though.

6. This series is reminding me more and more of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series. The evil oppressive government, the secret rebellion, the possibly-mythical place for them to escape to (The Smoke/District 13), hovercrafts, face tattoos, genetically modified plants/animals. I was hoping it'd go that way when I first read The Hunger Games. I was like, this government needs to be overthrown, Tally Youngblood-style.

7. "This is why we don't let you make plans." HA!

8. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! WHEN IS BOOK THREE COMING OUT!!!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

07/28/2009 page 299

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Let me just say, I LOVE the Uglies series, and Wiress and Beetee in general=win.
I can see Katniss and Tally's stories being very, very similar, and I like it. It's not copying because, well, look at the differences between them. Katniss is strong, deadly, impulsive. And while Tally is impulsive, she is naive and weak in the first two books, at least.
Either way, I'm glad someone sees the similarities, and this is by far my favorite review.

BTW, I like Peeta a lot more than Gale.....

Hannah Yeah. This pretty much sums up what I'm thinking, too. I just finished reading it yesterday and I'm letting my reactions cool off and sink in before I write a review.

Melinda I'm so glad someone else saw the similarities to the Uglies series. This bothered me. I thought The Hunger Games was such a fresh, new book and Catching Fire was too much like The Uglies.

Sophie Thanks for all the comments!

message 5: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I totally agree about the Uglies!

Liesbeth I defenitly agree with this review. I loved the book overal, but something bothered me and that defenitly was your point two.
The beginning of the book was slightly slow, but I liked it because it was giving our more backstory. And then you know President Snow is up for something bad. But I agree that I didn't see them be sended back coming at all. And if I was so shocked in disbelieve, didn't the characters of the book defenitly had to be? While the rest of the book went so slow, from then on it defenitly went to fast and didn't seem to cover everything there needed to be covered.

But overal, a great book and can't wait for number three.

I bought the Uglies series months ago but haven't come around to read them. I think I'll start now.

Evonne The 3rd one is rumered to be called "The Victors" and the release date was announced yesterday it comes out August 24th, 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 8: by Madalina (last edited Feb 04, 2010 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Madalina Hey, Sophie, let me get this straight, the one thing u didn't like about the book it's that the author has come up with a strong intrigue?
Think from this point of view: The Games are by far the Capitol's most powerfull weapon. The country is boiling because of the last HG, they have to get rid of Katniss and Peeta. If thetwo of them were to die/go missing on a sunny morning day while they went for a walk hand in hand(sniff,sniff and sorry the sarcasm)everybody would understand that the Capitol did it right? I mean, everybody else loves her/him.
So, apart from the HG, I don't think there would be another plausible dangerous situation for them. The Capitol took care of that.

Sophie Oh no, I understand why the Capitol did it. I just didn't think it was plausible that Katniss would accept it so readily.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

exactly what i thought! the part you said about President Snow... hilarious! sooo perfect, right in line with what I was thinking! I've read the Uglies series too, and that's also what I was thinking... except it took reading this review to remind me of that. pull it out of the back of my mind, you know?

Angela Of course you like peeta more than gale. That seems to be the authors plan for her readers. We don't get to know much about gale. Even the kiss that they shared we had to be told the story instead of feeling like we were there watching it take place. I hope in book 3 we actually get to know who Gale is, not just as an individual but also as a companion to Katniss. Also, Katniss should be confused about her feelings towards the guys. For one, she's 16-17. I think we were all confused about feelings at that age. For two, her love for gale was unforced and grew throughout the years of friendship. She wasn't even aware of what kind of love it is until she saw him in danger. Her love for peeta was forced on her, a game, a way to survive. Amazing that she was able to pull it off at such a young age. Of course you will start having feelings for someone as great as peeta. I think both guys would make great husbands. I can't wait to see who, if anyone, she ends up with. I think book 3 should allow her more time with gale and time away from peeta so readers can see just how hard of a choice she truly has.

Sarah TEAM GALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 13: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey So I read the Hunger Games series and I was reccomended to read the Maze Runner series. They are very similar books and some of the characters in Maze Runner relate to some of the characters in Hunger Games. it was a nerve racking book and I just kept in mind that Hunger Games is just like it. So if you liked Hunger Games and Catching Fire, you will love Maze Runner. I thought that Hunger Games was good, but now I am starting to think that Maze Runner is WAY better! READ MAZE RUNNER!

message 14: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Evonne wrote: "The 3rd one is rumered to be called "The Victors" and the release date was announced yesterday it comes out August 24th, 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Actually the 3rd book is called The MockingJay and it is sappposed to be way good!

Julie S. Has Mockingjay been released yet?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "TEAM GALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Totally! Although it's inevitable that she's going to end up the stupid Peeta the baker, (ha ha no pun intended but what kind of parents does this kid have?) At least Gale has personality and faults. Faults usually make the character not break it. And i find it super annoying how Peeta is made out to be perfect. And I think that Gale's love is more honest...somehow....anyways, super excited for book three!

Katniss_fan Team Peeta!!!!!!! He is so sweet! <3

Adrienne to add to your list
"There is no District 12" Best line in the whole book.

message 19: by S (new) - rated it 4 stars

S I can't read books like this without knowing a little bit more than what's on the cover, so I look specifically for comments hidden due to spoilery. So first of all, THANK YOU.
Second of all, I'm having trouble choosing between Peeta and Gale. When I read a book I practically become the character, so I think I'm so much Katniss right now, I don't even know who to root for. At first I was all for Gale, but now... I am Switzerland. Or, is there a District that is neutral? I'm not finished yet, but ahmagads... I feel like I'm holding my breath, falling off a cliff, reading this book.

message 20: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I totally agree with the book started moving really fast after the 3rd Quarter Quell announcement. It's like, what?? A rebel like Katniss didn't protest at all with her own way? *sigh*

Jaime I may have to read the Uglies now, I thought it was about something totally different.

I actually liked Catching Fire better than THG, but I just started Mockingjay:)
Loving this series!

Michelle This is such a good review. You pointed out some thoughts that were identical to mine, and opened my eyes to a few things I didn't even know I agreed with. I also loved this book, but gave it four stars based on mostly the same reasons you did, I believe. I really wanted to give it five! I can only hope Mockingjay will be a perfect ending, I'm dying to read it right now. Again, wonderful review!

Perry I just finished this one today. I thought it was great but I too was a little annoyed that she went back to the arena. It almost felt like a cop out. But all that changed at the end. Overall really great!

Saron Willamson Oh my gosh, it reminds me of Uglies too! I was so happy when I read that you thought so also. The Uglies series was AWESOME though, so I don't mind that I'm reminded of it.

Kristen wow, i hope someone that hasn't read the book doesn't read this review. you totally ruined the book. sorry but thats my opinion

Sophie Kristen wrote: "wow, i hope someone that hasn't read the book doesn't read this review. you totally ruined the book. sorry but thats my opinion"

Dude, it says SPOILER ALERT at the top.

Kristen Sophie wrote: "Kristen wrote: "wow, i hope someone that hasn't read the book doesn't read this review. you totally ruined the book. sorry but thats my opinion"

Sophie: Dude, it says SPOILER ALERT at the top."

Yea thanks for pointin' that out, i'm not blind...

Kristen Adrienne wrote: "to add to your list
"There is no District 12" Best line in the whole book.

And....Team Peeta all the way. "You could live a thousand lives and still not deserve him" Ahhhhh"

I love those lines!! my heart skipped a few beats when i read those parts!! :)

Kristen Aubrey wrote: "Evonne wrote: "The 3rd one is rumered to be called "The Victors" and the release date was announced yesterday it comes out August 24th, 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Actually the 3rd book is called The Mo..."

Mockingjay was amazing!! Definitly read it as soon as you can!! that is if you haven't already lol

Sophie Then what's your problem?

Kristen Sophie wrote: "Then what's your problem?"

ummm...i'm pretty sure i don't have a problem..what's yours? (just tryin' to be courteous!)

Sophie I don't understand why you would take issue with my review having spoilers in it, since it is clearly marked as a spoilery review.

Kristen Sophie wrote: "I don't understand why you would take issue with my review having spoilers in it, since it is clearly marked as a spoilery review."

okay whatever, i'm done replying it just wastes time..bye

message 34: by aya (new) - rated it 5 stars

aya Team peeta all the way!! I'm reading mockingjay now and its more of a katniss and gale kinda thing, so that's pretty new since we're all used To seeing her with peeta.I'm not gonna spoil more than I already have ;)

message 35: by aya (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 36: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay yeah that line about her not making the plans is probably my favorite

message 37: by Aisa (new)

Aisa i'm team peeta!!!.. & peeta it is!!!! wohoo..:)

Sophia GALE .. All the way !!

message 39: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma I am totally on Team Gale, Peeta is too wimpy for me, he needs to get real sometimes. I COMPLETELY agree with the comparison of Uglies to Hunger Games, Tally is so similar to Katniss.

message 40: by Yo (new)

Yo Mama's Movie is not good so get some cheddar by the way got to yale

message 41: by Ali (new)

Ali I thought the clock arena was a brilliant idea. I also liked how Wiress and Beetee were somewhat corcky and awkward. Also, Katniss is written out to be so independent - almost refusing to accept any help offered. But in this book, she allies up with more people. She goes along with plans that aren't hers, and she makes more than just one friend in the games. Maybe she relied a little too much on Wiress and Beetee to the point where it didn't seem realistic (not that any of this book is realistic).

Every traumatic moment Katniss is supposed to have isn't really exaggerated enough. She doesn't seem to care much about anything, including her lovers and her life. She cares about her family, but that's about all that she seems to want the best for. I agree with you in the fact that she wasn't despondent enough when she heard the news about having to go back to the games again. She didn't even cry. That would be the first thing anyone would do, right?

I also was just infatuated with the way Collins described President Snow's visit. That very last paragraph describing the smell of roses and blood was just brilliant. She makes it seem like Katniss barely remembers what Snow looks like when she says, "A small, white-haired man who seems vaguely familiar..." And she throws in how he is making himself at home - reading a book. Then the fear sinks in, and her heart skips a beat.