Shana Kennedy's Reviews > Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead

Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg

Jun 12, 13

Read from June 08 to 12, 2013

I was moved to buy Sheryl Sandberg's book after reading the great Time Magazine article on her recently. I was disappointed to find out that the book really didn't have much more in it than the article - all of her main points in the book were covered more succinctly in the article. The book spends a lot more time throwing out statistics and bemoaning the state of the world. What I was looking for was a more in-depth examination of her key strategems, and I didn't find that here.

That said, her key points are great ones, and have really opened my eyes.

"A truly equal world would be one where women ran half our countries and companies and men ran half our homes."
"We hold ourselves back in ways both big and small, by lacking self-confidence, by not raising our hands, by pulling back when we should be leaning in."
"Framing the issue as `work-life balance' - as if the two were diametrically opposed - practically ensures work will lose out. Who would choose work over life?"
"Women rarely make one big decision to leave the workforce. Instead, they make a lot of small decisions along the way, making accommodations and sacrifices they believe will be required to have a family."

Lots to think about here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lean In.

06/08/2013 marked as: currently-reading