Kate's Reviews > My Wicked Enemy

My Wicked Enemy by Carolyn Jewel

Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in July, 2009

This book is not for the faint of heart.

I'm serious. Carolyn does not hold back in this novel. The story itself is an adventure - your classic good versus evil with the slight problem that our Heroine, Carson, is supposed to be the badguy. Except she's not. Which confuses the heck out of Nikodemus. He's just a fiend trying to free his fellow fiends from the evil magekind.

Whoa, wait a sec? Did I say that right? Yes, this is the backwards story to what we usually hear. The good mages try to lock down the eeeevil fiends and demons so that they don't hurt mankind. Carolyn flipped it around - the magekind are the badguys. Witches are evil. And fiends are just warrior breeds that happen to like the taste of blood and get very, very turned on by magic.

I loved that this book is set in the San Francisco Bay Area. I knew where they were based on Carolyn's description, and seeing she is from this area, it's no surprise she was able to accurately describe just how one feels on the shady side of Oakland. Obscure references that will confuse some made me giggle. There are a ton of nerd/gamer geek references too - like pwn3d! Oh, Carolyn! I giggled out loud at that one, while at the same time saying "Wtf, mate?"

The love scenes are steeeeeeeamy. But, unlike some paranormals that add a menage into the mix, Carolyn's is tasteful and you always get the sense that our H/H are the ones connecting, while the third party is just there vicariously sharing the experience. I definitely wished I had my man here afterwards - holy crap! Splashing my face with cold water will do the trick, however.

Only now I can't wait to read the next one! *sigh* I'm a goner, for sure.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Wicked Enemy.

07/15/2009 page 1