Polly's Reviews > A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Sep 12, 08

bookshelves: top-eleven

look. it's cool to hate on dave eggers.

it's *so cool* to be post-dave-eggers, and talk about how you didn't really like this book all that much, and it's even cooler to totally hate this book. it's like a coolness interview question. "did you like his book?" "yeah, I really did." "well, we can't be friends with *you*..."

this is just like those hipsters who don't like justin timberlake. fuck you, hipsters. that new album is solid gold.

I loved this book. I loved it, and I still love it. I wish to god I had sent away for the optional large-scale flow chart. at one point in my life, I had several (*several*) copies of this book, and I gave them away and lent them out and now I have none. one of those copies was practically destroyed with the underlining and highlighting and dog-earing-of-pages I practiced on it. I wish to god I still had that one.

and listen, cool kids. deep in the uncool heart of you, you loved it too. so step off.

243 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

Elizabeth I'm so uncool, I didn't even know it was cool to hate on Dave Eggers. I, too, fucking love this book. And I'm not afraid to say it to anyone!

One of the best things about being an adult, is that you don't HAVE to be cool, anymore.

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick Fagerlund Word.

message 3: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger you're review is awesome. LOL

Barbara Fang The JT album IS solid gold. I appreciate this quite a bit.

message 5: by Rita (new)

Rita O'Connell high five. i, also, appreciate this review. let's be friends.

message 6: by Fuck (new) - rated it 1 star

Fuck Polly btw.. thank God you don't have that book anymore.. those people you lent the copies to did you a huge favor buddy.. now go get a life and make something out of yourself Jesus Christ so fucking annoying when people maybe don't even know what the book's purpose is but because the mother and father get cancer and they are left alone everybody feels sorry.. same shit in movies.. can people actually recognize a good piece of art and separate it from total bullshit.. wow so fucking stupid man

message 7: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger lol... powerful. It's hard not to take this one seriously right?! If there's one thing I love - it's a fantastic conversation with someone like this! Ha!

Michelle Shea I like Justin Timberlake, just not this book.

message 9: by Rose (last edited Sep 27, 2010 06:31PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose It sounds like YOU'RE the one who thinks you're so cool, since other people can't have an opinion that's different from yours. I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe when you stop being so narrow-minded, you'll see that other people can have a different opinion from you without thinking "Aren't I cool?" Grow up.

message 10: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Johns I love this book and your review! I think it and you are awesome.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (y) Nice!

Pauline McGonagle Michelle wrote: "I like Justin Timberlake, just not this book."
I am really enjoying this book so far.............. please say I don't also have to like Justine Timberlake??

message 13: by Josie (new)

Josie golden.

Karen I must day that I agree with Rose. It's funny (ironically funny) that someone who accuses others of trying to be cool (that would be you, Polly) is also so obviously trying to be cool. You are a young writer, and with age, I think you will stop trying so hard, like Dave Eggers seems to be doing in this book. But that is only my opinion, and I respect the opinion of others who disagree.

kippy po kipsy kip kellan st yeah, i also like justin timberlake but i didn't like this book. does that make me half as cool as i could be?

message 16: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Shannon This book = yes.
Timberlake = hell no

Jason Bickford Am I on Facebook?

message 18: by Duke (new)

Duke Though I haven't heard a note of it, I assure you that Timberlake's album is not good.

message 19: by Corbin (new) - added it

Corbin he doesn't need to explain himself. he loved the book. 'nuff said

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Okay….I was considering reading this book, but the first paragraph of your review made that unlikely. Any book whose fans' first defense of it is "You're all stupid hipsters for not liking it! F*** off and admit you like it already!" holds little appeal for me.

Thanks for giving me a reason not to read it.

Anneleise Thank Bokonon someone said it.

David Just started the book, I'm enjoying it enough 50 some pages in. Don't understand any loathing or worship of it but i'm not in a position to form much of an opinion yet but i do find it noteworthy that the biggest critics of it on this thread have read nothing but pop fiction, YA crap, and standard american classics (aside from a few greats they hacked with one or two star ratings) while the reviewer has knocked out and appreciated some pretty legitimate literature. I'm not to hip to the term hipster or this review but it makes total sense that a bunch of 30+ year olds hanging on John Green's coat tails while bagging on Cormac McCarthy and F Scott Fitzgerald.

David Sorry, lost track of my thoughts, i meant to say that such adults who read crap want to totally disembowel this book don't seem to have much taste in lit themselves. In all fairness Eggers is narcissistic as shit and I threw 'How We Are Hungry' on the ground, which really required more attention than the book deserved.

message 24: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Haven't read this book, but its fans have convinced me not too. I'll be too busy rereading Kingdom Come and The Book Thief. You know. Quirky classics like that. And then I think I'll give John Green a try.

message 25: by J (new) - rated it 2 stars

J Faith This just reinvented my theory of Cool..

Cindy Vela Polly, I love you like hipsters love ironic clothes.