Lauren's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Don DeLillo

Apr 08, 07

People married, were born, and died in the time it took me to read this book. A kid sitting next to me on a plane commented "that's the fattest book I've ever seen. What's it about?" I told him "I have no idea--I'm only 580 pages into it." Having finished I still don't know what it was about but reading it was an extraordinary experience. The novella that introduces the book is perfect and complete in itself. What follows is discursive and ephemeral like some new kind of music. Reading it was like learning how to listen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat I like your review of Underworld a lot, made me laugh

message 2: by Julia (last edited Dec 19, 2009 04:21PM) (new)

Julia Collier Lauren, I totally agree. I just finished it this afternoon after reading it for what? 10, 15 years or so? But I was fascinated by it every step of the way. It even had the realistic novel sensation of me falling in love with the characters. It's a miraculous book. Wish I could write a 500 page book about it that would take eons to read - and do it justice.

message 3: by TK421 (new) - added it

TK421 Agreed. Music and listening. We could only be so lucky to have more books written like this.

Jason "Reading it was like learning how to listen." Absolutely perfect. People are spending too much energy imposing a meaning on this book ("it's about the Cold War"... "it's about trash as a metaphor for the unseen"... etc.) and not enough energy just listening to it, to its palatial spaces and resonances.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann I guess I do not have enough time in my life to be discursive and ephemeral. and you know how much I love to listen , But did love your review. Very funny.