Karen's Reviews > The Backyard Homestead: Produce All the Food You Need on Just a Quarter Acre!

The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan

F 50x66
Jul 15, 2009

Recommended for: anyone who wants to live as self-sufficiently as possible.
Read in July, 2009

What a wonderful reference for living as sustainably as possible on your own land - even if you only have a quarter acre! Although I cannot have livestock or even chickens in my city, this book provided a wealth of information about gardening, preserving, making cheese, growing and processing grains, baking bread, even brewing beer. I purchased this book to learn about gardening, and I was not disappointed. It has a handy reference for planting and caring for many kinds of veggies, fruits, nuts, and grains. If I desired, with the help of this book, I could turn my whole urban yard into a sort of mini-farm, providing my family with an abundance of food all year long. In addition to this, the book expanded my knowledge so that I will experiment with making my own cheese, yogurt, and jam, and perhaps someday consider owning dairy goats or chickens if I ever have the land for it. This book is a very handy guide to feeding your family as naturally as possible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Backyard Homestead.