Jennifer's Reviews > Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes

Sep 18, 2007

bookshelves: classics
Recommended for: Students
Read in January, 1989

I believe, deep in my heart, that everyone who has attended high school in the past twenty to thirty years or so (in the United States, at least) owned a ratty, most likely used copy of this work at one time or another. This book has been on the required reading list of so many schools that nearly everyone has seen it, owned it, and opened it at least twice.

This is one only two such books I still have, 15 years out of high school: this and Strunk and White. This is a good book to have lying around the house, not because you need it every day, but because it is a great reference for things like settling family bets and cheating on the brown questions in Trivial Pursuit. Dig it out of the boxes in your basement sometime, under the term paper from freshman comp, and have a look over it. It really is a great reference guide to ancient mythos, it's easily accessible, and well written. Generations of high school teachers can't be all THAT wrong.

Well, except maybe for making us all read Moby Dick.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mythology.

03/01 marked as: read

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian your comment is the story of my high school life. Right now as I type there is a ratty fourth hand copy of Mythology lying on my bedstand as required summer reading. I find each of the stories very interesting.

And let me emphasise the word agree when I say that I agree with your opinion of Moby Dick. The entire second semester of 8th grade Moby Dick blasted from the computer speakers as we tried to drown it out (and failed to do so).

Tiffany i actually really enjoyed this even though it was required reading, but i really like greek mythology and there were a lot of other stories you're not hearing about.