Nicole Shelby's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: good-again, children
Read in June, 2009

I loved, and was disappointed by this book.

I've been familiar with the basic story for years; however, I hadn't read it. I've decided to start filling in some of my literary gaps.

Mole: amiable, but not admirable. Sweet, and lucky. He enjoyed life and the opportunities he encountered. He was a simple and malleable creature who was improved by his close contact with Rat and Badger.

Mr. Toad: irritated me to no end. He was completely self-absorbed and blind to the affects of his actions on the lives of the people with whom he came in contact. Of course, he didn't have to suffer deleterious consequences for his own choices; so, he never came to learn any empathy. He took the loyalty and devotion and self-denial of his friends as a matter of course, and caused damage (in some cases serious) to those whom chance brought to his path. Irritating. There are many characters found that could fit this profile: but, not frequently cast as a hero.

Water-Rat: open and resourceful. Intelligent. He loved the river, and did his best to bring joy into the lives of his friends. I loved the generous Rat.

Badger: reclusive and loyal. He just wanted to be left alone; yet, he sublimated his own inclinations to the needs of others. He saw the needs of those around him, and did his best to fulfill them. He was grumpy and solitary - simultaneously devoted and patient and protective. Mr Toad might have been fun at a passing party, Badger is the one who you would want as your friend.

"After this climax, the four animals continued to lead their lives..."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.

Annette Hi Nicole, you're right on in your character profiles.

I just finished reading this and in my mind, Ikept comparing Mr. Toad to "Arthur"...you know the movies with Dudley Moore and more recently, Russell Brand. (I've really not watched either version all the way though -- Id rather read).
I loved Rat too.