Kate's Reviews > I Was a Teenage Fairy

I Was a Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia Block

Jun 11, 10

bookshelves: read-in-or-before-2009
Read in July, 2009

This book has been in my TBR pile for a long time, and I had high hopes going into it. Unfortunately, this book was not really me.

What I liked: I thought the book had a wonderful underlying message. It ended on a high note which is something I was not sure was going to happen. The characters undergo some major issues, and actually find a way to work through it.. kudos for that.

What I did not like: I found the book hard to get into with it starting with a mass of descriptions that I am still not sure were needed, and to be honest, left me a bit confused. I constantly found myself lost in the beginning since it would randomly have flashbacks without a set up or warning. I also had a hard time connecting with the characters: Barbie was mostly blah to me, her mother annoying, her dad was always angry and I did not always understand why, Mab- I am not really sure what I think about her. She annoyed me and I liked her at the same time if that makes any sense. I also found the sex references odd and really unneeded for the most part.

Overall, the word disjointed kept coming to mind while I was reading this book-- this may be due to it having no chapters (but it could be the writing style too). I think that I would have liked this book better if it was pieced together differently. While it has major flaws for me, I really did like its message of overcoming issues and learning to move on.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was a Teenage Fairy.