Grace Chen's Reviews > More Than Serving Tea: Asian American Women on Expectations, Relationships, Leadership and Faith

More Than Serving Tea by Nikki A. Toyama

Jul 14, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

My pastor gave me this book, and her being a female pastor in a conservative Chinese church, I think she knows quite a bit about where this book is coming from!

It's authored by 5 Asian American women (Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Filipino, and Pakistani) who share their different perspectives and their stories on life, love, faith, leadership, and becoming the Asian American Christian women that God has created them to be.

I found myself relating to this book quite a lot, and was surprised at how similar their stories are to mine. It's encouraging and inspiring to see others 'just like me' who have gone several steps ahead and can share from their experience.

One suggestion to the editors, if there ever is a reprint, please please please don't insert stories/poems right in the middle of a paragraph or sentence or thought. It's highly distracting!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than Serving Tea.

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ching I agree, I also thought sudden insertions of another story within the text were kind of obtrusive. They constantly interrupted my line of thought and broke the ideas forming in my head.