Aileen's Reviews > Dorothy Parker: What Fresh Hell Is This?

Dorothy Parker by Marion Meade

Sep 17, 07

Read in September, 2007

I dived into this book, but lingered for a bit towards the end. By use of the word "lingering", I am confessing that I found myself more inclined to set it aside for a quick foray into the new arrival at the local grocery store of month old OK magazines. That's my caveat, folks. My caution too. I can put aside a good book to read stale smut.

But if you are still interested in my opinion on this particular book, I'll share it: it's good. Interesting. Cerebrally, I know that I am glad to know more about the Dorothy Parker that wrote all that sharp wit that lifted my perspective during my bout of Manhattan dating. But, realistically, I think it was....ummm, difficult I suppose is the best word, difficult read it, and difficult to give up the image of her as a spright, concise urban edge for the more practical image of her as a woman whose life was hard, and often disappointing, and regularly lonely, yet still sparkling with adventure and social wit. And I learned that Dorothy Parker cared deeply for truth and justice, which deepened my respect for her. All in all, though, I wonder if it isn't like reading the journal of a friend - a friend you know would be horrified to have her carefully crafted image breached. Just a bit of guilt.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dorothy Parker.