Rhonda's Reviews > Philosophy Made Simple

Philosophy Made Simple by Richard H. Popkin

Jul 14, 09

bookshelves: philosophy

I don't know that I have ever read this entire book, but for years I would keep it close by in order to remind me of a position which my feeble mind couldn't recall. In that vein, it was irreplaceable.
While not lacking in depth of explanation, this book certainly cannot, simply because of the massive subject matters it covers, do an excellent job at everything. Nevertheless, I have found myself over and over again nodding at some sage point it makes in twosentences, something I realize would otherwise take me a page or two at very least.

Lastly, while I think it is not exactly either philosophy for dummies or made simple, it does a remarkable job at getting to the essence of that which it attempts to explain. I have never found it to be incorrect, although in several areas, I found it severely lacking to the point that it could be construed to be explaining in the wrong direction. Oddly enough, I never found that beginners could use this as they desired, as a kind of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as it were, but it still serves me faithfully 20 years later.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philosophy Made Simple.