Marika Gillis's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Aug 31, 09

bookshelves: fiction, mysteries
Read in July, 2009

The saying goes, “Never judge a book by it’s cover” but I must admit, that’s absolutely what I did with this one. There was something so captivating about the bright yellow cover lined with lovely green bottles (granted, they were bottles of poison but, really, doesn’t that just add to the appeal?). With a cover that compelling, I figured it just had to be a good book.

And it was a good book.

Just not quite as good as the cover implied.

Charles Lenox lives in London in the late 1800s. He’s a gentleman who lives a gentleman’s life- eating dinner at the gentleman’s club, arranging the details of life (like when to have his newspaper and tea) with his butler, and socializing with his next door neighbor/love interest, Lady Jane. It’s no wonder that Lenox jumps on an opportunity to help Lady Jane solve the sudden murder of her former employee- he’s dying for something to fill his days!

This mystery is somewhat clever, although not all that exciting. The mediocre plot line did not contain the sense of expectancy and level of excitement that I normally prefer in mysteries. This pleasant novel is reminiscent of what I imagine Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes novels encompass, but as a Harlan Coben fan, it didn’t quite cut it for me. As far as mystery genre writing is concerned, I would say that Charles Finch is to Harlan Coben what vanilla ice cream is to rocky road. There’s nothing wrong with vanilla ice cream, and it certainly isn’t unpleasant, but it’s not chocked full of surprises the way rocky road is!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin LOVE the ice cream analogy, Marika!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin By the way, why does this say kindle edition? Do you have a kindle?!