Caroline's Reviews > Making Money

Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Sep 17, 2007

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in October, 2007

Moist von Lipwig of Going Postal makes a return, this time with the task of getting the Royal Bank of Ankh-Morpork in order. There's a lot of new interesting characters to be found, as well as familiar faces from the rest of the series as well as Going Postal. The Lavishes were just great and entertaining all around, and it was fun to see some of wizards and City Watch make small appearances.

I'll admit that my favorite part of this book was how much Vetinari actually appeared in it. I've always had a soft spot for the tyrant, and he definitely seemed to have more of an appearance in this book than any of the other Discworld novels. That combined with Cosmo Lavish doing everything in his power to be exactly like Vetinari, there was a whole lot of Vetinari to go around.

I really have been enjoying the direction the series is going. While there might not be as many gags per page anymore, the humor is still there but it feels like the plot matters more now. It's still the hilarious Discworld we all know and laugh at, but it seems more biting satire than silly puns these days.

My only issue with the book is the ending seemed a bit thrown together. Interesting, yes, but there was something off about it--it seemed to dwell too long on some of the lesser plot points and skim over the more important ones. All in all, I really enjoyed this one, and now I'm really hoping for a return of Moist von Lipwig (and the very entertaining Adora Belle Dearheart).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Money.