Sherie's Reviews > The Ethical Assassin

The Ethical Assassin by David Liss

Jul 17, 09

Read in July, 2009

This book is a complete departure from the books that I have read by D. Liss. I felt like I was in the world of Carl Hiaasen with his plastic palm trees, Florida humidity, and sprinkling of wantonly depraved characters, all couched to make one want to hop on a plane and visit every major city in Florida.
That being said, I am impressed that Liss has the ability to go from historical fiction and such protaginists as Benjamin Weaver and take us to mid 80's Florida with Lem Atlick as our schmuck lead character.
The book was described as a Hardy boys adventure on acid. It certainly delivers. The action is fast paced and is absurdly believable. Lem is fresh out of high school and attempting to earn money selling encyclopedias. He run afoul with the local law and is befriended by a sociopathic assassin, who is strangely moral and willingly shares his views with Lem, who finds them oddly compelling, the more he hears.
I don't think that this will be my favorite D. Liss book, but if his goal is to make his readers think, it worked for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ethical Assassin.