1. Genre Young Adult Fictional Verse
2. Award (if applicable) Coretta Scott King Award
3. Star Rating 5
4. Grade level (s) 9-12th grade
5. Evaluation: This book is a really fun read as it flows beautifully. It is a fictional verse memoir; however it is based on the rough early years of a Eleanora, a talented girl who eventually (as reflected in the book) became known as Billie Holiday, possibly the greatest jazz singer of all time. Because this book contains MANY harsh real topics (such as prostitution, rape, racism, and marijuana), it is more appropriate for high school students.
6. Description of the ending: Because of the type of book it is, I would have to say it has an open ending. The last poem is her reflecting on her career thus far, but it is by no means the end of her career.