Lisa's Reviews > Good Things I Wish You

Good Things I Wish You by A. Manette Ansay

Aug 30, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

This book was well-written and very timely. It stoked my curiosity to learn more about musical contemporaries. It also helped me, as a writer, to realize that not every story must be linear nor does it have to be wrapped up neatly at the end. Life isn't wrapped up neatly, is it?

I like very much Ansay's writing style and her ability to capture the world as we live in it today. She also handled well the interior life of the story's narrator. As I was thinking about the book, I realized that I never quite pictured the narrator Jeanette in my head because I was reading her first person from the first person. At times, it felt like the story was mine. (But that's for another day.)

I was a little disappointed in how the idea of deja vu was interwoven into the story, but as I finished reading it, I became less anxious that that particular thread wasn't going to come to fruition because I understood that it was just one part of the over-arching story. And, frankly, since time shifting, reincarnation and deja vu all play a part in the story I am currently writing, I was glad to see that I am, in no way, repeating any part of this story.

I would recommend this story to anyone who enjoys music, discovery and well-written stories about the untidiness of life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Things I Wish You.

08/23/2009 page 33

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Very nice review darling. If I could read when I write I'd read it. Sadly, I doubt I'll read another novel until I sell the one I've written. Writing a query letter is the hardest thing I've ever written.