Gavin's Reviews > The Man Who Never Was

The Man Who Never Was by Ewen Montagu

Jul 14, 2009

Read in July, 2009

I saw this one at the used book store and the first few paragraphs sounded interesting. I just found out it's one of the original 1953 publishing...sort of cool. It's sat on my shelf for over a year, but finally I picked it up. When a book starts off with "But where could we find a body?", you know it's going to be great.

This one doesn't disappoint. The book follows a little known bit of espionage during the Mediterranean campaign of WWII. Essentially, the Brits float a body ashore to Spain, knowing that the Germans will get it and, more importantly, the letters he's carrying which are rife with misdirection. Seems like a simple plan, but it proves to be much more difficult than originally imagined.

It's a fascinating book told by the very man who thought up the plot and saw it through. Although I'd never heard the story, it actually played a real part in the events of the war. For the few hours it will take to read, it's worth every minute and more. I was sorry when it came to an end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Never Was.