Stephanie Estes's Reviews > Rainbow High

Rainbow High by Alex Sanchez

F_50x66
Jul 14, 09

From the first page you can envision the plight of the homosexual teenager. This novel followed four boys/men through their high school struggle. The way Alex Sanchez set up the novel with simplistic visual rhetoric was very easy to follow and intriguing. At the top of each chapter all of the main character's names were shown, but the one that was being highlighted in this section was in bold print. This reduced any confusion and showed how their lives were intertwined. Rainbow High was my first read in this genre.

I learned that coming out as a gay teenager is a private decision. And, there can be repercussions for the person coming out. For instance, in the novel, Jason decided to tell his coach about his decision and ended up losing his scholarship. Jason was portrayed as the all-american high school jock. Jason had a girl friend for two years before admitting he was gay. What I found the most intriguing was the treatment of Jason after coming out. He was not treated as badly as the other boys becuase of his sports background. On page 145 of the text it states "being a jock trumps being gay." However, when his father found out about his lifestyle he bolted.

On the other hand, Kyle was a competitive swimmer for his school. When his teammates found out he was gay, they did not want him to share the lockerroom showers with him. He felt the isolation and taunting. But, his parents were comfortable with his decision. His main issue was the tug of war between his relationship and college. He was accepted to his dad's alma mater, Princeton. Kyle and Jason were together as a couple.

Nelson was the most outward in his behaviors and attitude. Nelson was hooked up with Jeremy, who was HIV+. His main struggle was the safe sex issue. His mother adored Jeremy until she sound out about his diagnosis. She felt her son was being foolish. In the end, they end up as friends.

This book woke me up to the fact that this is some people's reality. I have gay relatives, friends, and acquaintances, but I have never known the darker side of this struggle. Discrimination does exist. All of the boys had to experience their own struggle but they found comfort and solice in a school club, Rainbow Club. All people deserve a safe place to talk and listen.

I still have not wrapped my head around how this could be used in the classroom, but the fact that I read it was a start.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbow High.