Karen Healey's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Jul 14, 09

WOW.

It took a while to hook me, but once it did, I was well and truly, barb-to-the-back-of-the-throat, hooked. I thought it was going to be a story about a girl developing resistance to a cruel and oppressive patriarchy, and so it was, but not at all how I had thought it would proceed from the first chapters. Plus! Bonus! Mini survival narrative included!

I think I fell in love the moment Katsa barged into her cousin's room demanding confirmation of something she'd been told, but had totally failed to recognise herself. Katsa's obliviousness to her own emotions and those of others was really wonderful, and beautifully drawn out (and story-relevant! This was a very *tight* narrative).

I couldn't work out how the Graces worked - there seemed to be some logic!fail in their differing presentation - but I really did not care that much. Katsa was awesome, her boy was awesome, the villain was creepy as hell, and that ending made me punch the air yelling, "YES!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mordicai (new)

Mordicai I quite liked it; my wife loves it. I didn't like Po-- thought he was too bland, Mary Sue-boyfriend. I didn't like that her reasons for not being with Po-- status, Graces, gender-- all were negated by Po's country-- where Gracelings are treated like people & women have equality & Po's family doesn't expect things from him & on top of that Po's castle is double extra far away & Po is double liberal. Whatever, though. Fun. I liked Fire much more!

Ariel Just picked this up today. I've enjoyed your YA reviews--you're helping my fun summer reading.