oriana's Reviews > Deadeye Dick

Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut

Jul 16, 09

bookshelves: read-2009
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I picked this up because I wanted to read a Kurt Vonnegut book that I haven't read before, and neither the title or the back-cover synopsis sounded familiar to me. But it only took a chapter to realize that I have indeed read this before, probably several times. And that's the thing about Kurt Vonnegut I've always found bewildering: His books are so good, right? But, with the exception of Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions (and Slaughterhouse Five, obvs), I never remember them for more than a few days after I've finished. I don't know why that is, because he is nothing if not insanely detailed. There are so many characters, and everyone has a backstory and frontstory and friends and desires and funny things to say, and his plots are so rambling and strange and back-and-forth and unique, and his dialogue is believable and well paced. And on and on and on. So what gives?

Anyway, if only for my own reference the next time I try to pick this up, thinking I've never read it before, here's a quick plot rundown (spoilers to follow, if anyone cares). Otto and Emma Waltz are incredibly wealthy and frivolous, he a fraud of an artist, she a debutante. They get married and live in a huge old carriage house. They have two sons, Rudy and Felix. Felix goes off to war, and then Rudy accidentally shoots a woman (he is twelve). His father (sort of) takes the fall and does a little time in prison. The husband of the woman killed sues the Waltzes for everything they have, and since neither parent has ever washed a dish or folded a blanket or cooked so much as a piece of toast, Rudy becomes their personal servant. There's a lot more (the book is told in flashback after both parents are dead and Rudy and Felix own a hotel in Haiti), but I'm tired and I said I would only do a synopsis anyway.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadeye Dick.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crossmessparzels i totally agree with you about not remembering vonnegut book plots (save a hazy outline). i love them though :))

oriana Gosh, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one! Why is that though? It's so strange.