Sherwood Smith's Reviews > An Infamous Army

162084
Jul 13, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, siver-fork
read count: 1

I'm not as impressed with it as I was as a young reader--I know the sources of her Waterloo descriptions, and how she almost took them wholesale. That said, the way she researched the battle and tried to give it as realistic a treatment as possible while still holding onto her determined paradigm of the dashing and noble and heroic British aristocrats makes for a unique sort of a romantic adventure in the silver fork mode.

To bind the story together, she brings the heroine of Regency Buck to the descendants of the Alistairs, of These Old Shades and Devil's Cub, though you have to blink and pretend that there was another generation in there. I suspect she forgot that These Old Shades was after the '45 and not the '15, though Pompadour is clearly reigning over Versailles, and she was usually meticulous, so it's hard to say what happened.

Anyway, the characters are vivid enough to handle the powerful effect of Waterloo, beginning with the famous ball and carrying through to the horrific aftermath. Charles Audley is one of her best heroes, at least in my eyes, and Lady Barbara is a believable daughter of all those Mark I heroes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Infamous Army.

04/01 marked as: read