Zoidberg's Reviews > InterWorld

InterWorld by Neil Gaiman

2520389
Jul 13, 09

liked it
Recommended for: young adult sci-fi fans, Gaiman fans
Read in June, 2009 , read count: 1

This was a random pick off the bookshelf at the library, because it's Gaiman and I'd never heard of it before. I've also been watching Disney's "Gargoyles", that intricate animated series that was popular in the mid-90s, and Gaiman's co-author Michael Reaves was a writer on that show. I wasn't sure what to expect, but knew that it would be enjoyable.

Plot in brief: Joey Harker teams up with versions of himself from parallel earths to stop evil from taking over all possible universes. Joey stumbles on his power to "Walk" between parallel dimensions by accident (a la X-Men) and is trained at a secret facility in the Nowhere-at-all. The Nowhere-at-all is the place where the teams of other Joeys are dispatched. On Joey's team, the versions of himself include: a cyborg, a wolf-girl, a winged girl, a psychic, mystic type dude, and a strongman.

The characters weren't as developed as I would have liked. The best villain in the novel was a man whose tattoos could come to life. More could have been done with Joey's brief training period and the memory erasure part of the plot was a bit unnecessary. I also missed getting to know the rest of Joey's team. By the end they all learn that they have to work together to save the world, and that they're more alike than different, and that hey! they do make a pretty good team. The authors say in the afterward that they tried to get this idea made into an animated series in the late '90s, and the novel does play out like a cartoon. I expect there will be more adventures to come, and you know what? It would have made a pretty great TV show, and a group of kids would sure love to hear this one read out loud.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read InterWorld.